Why Journalism is Different From Any Other College Program | Victoria Battcock

I have attended two years of university and started journalism school in September. I spent my two years in university doing the same thing: going to class, going to the library, studying, writing notes and writing exams.

I knew the switch I had made to journalism school was a smart one but I did not realize why until further into the semester. It is so much different than any other type of schooling I had attended.

Here are just some of the main reasons why it is so different:

Instructor and student using video camera during class outdoors
Video Journalism class outside / Victoria Battcock
1. The classes are taught differently
You may still have to do the typical electives and study subjects like Political Science and English but most of the classes offered in Journalism school are unique. You will spend a few hours of the week playing with DSLR cameras or video cameras, making a blog and setting up RSS feeds! The classes are aimed to be more interactive and hands on.

2. You have to adapt to a whole new way of learning
Hand-in-hand with #1, the new way of learning involves shadowing the instructor while they edit video clips or record your fellow classmate speaking for a podcast. Learning how to use new tools cannot be memorized. It must be understood.

3. Organizing and doing homework is different
I am a school supply and organizational lover! I am obsessed with organizing my notes and homework. When I started Journalism, I had a little trouble with the transition in this department and I have not found a lot of online resources to help. I have started to figure it out and I'm in the progress of writing a post about it.

4. There is more than textbooks and notebooks in your backpack
Another thing that was hard to get used to was having extra weight in my bag. While I was already used to bringing my textbooks and laptop around, journalism classes require you to bring your DSLR camera, a microphone, external hard drive and other supplies too. Most of the supplies are expensive but if you take good care of them, you'll have them for a long time.
You made need a bigger backpack! Photo credit: anotsolonelyplanetblog.wordpress.com
5. School can't be left at school or the library
At university, when you're done your assignments or readings, you zip up your bag and move on. With Journalism school, you are always looking for new sources and new story ideas for your pitches. Heading out for a day of shopping could get you sources and story ideas you didn't have. School is no longer somewhere you go!


Comments

Popular Posts