Tips to Staying Organized in Journalism School | Victoria Battcock

I have searched for many resources since starting in September to figure out how I can organize my life in Journalism school. It has not been an easy task.

You see, I am an avid Pinterest and Youtube searcher. I search things like, "College Organization" or "How to organize your life" more than once a week. I need to be organized in order to be productive. My search for videos or posts relating to my schooling has been near impossible.

I wanted to make this post to help those who are like me. So, here it is. How to get and stay organized in journalism school!

Have a place for everything.

You are going to find you have more physical stuff. This is normal and it is not just your clutter building up! To keep yourself in order and your life stress free, have a place for all those things.

I keep my Rode microphone and its wind sock in my desk drawer. Along with my camera charger, lens cover, long lens, usb drive, external hard drive, headphones and charging cables.

My camera goes on a shelf because it is appealing and I use it quite often!

This also applies to virtual things (your files)

Have a place for everything virtual.
Inside my Semester 2 folder I have a folder for each assignment.

I found out quite quickly that a lot of the work and assignments journalists do is on the computer. I started off with my desktop looking like a trash bin. I found out when I started losing assignments that this needed to change. I keep my files organized by semester and by class.

Then within the class, I made a folder for each assignment!

Write things down. 

With all the technology nowadays, it is the given that people use a reminders app and an online calendar. I do use both of these but I also use a physical agenda. I find writing things down and having it all in front of me when in class or doing assignments can help me feel less stressed and it allows me to lay out assignments better!
The fluffy end of my Rode Mic is a conversation starter!

The agenda I use is The Happy Planner and I purchased it from Michael's! I love it because it is a vertical layout and I can prioritize my school work and my extra curricular activities all in the one place.

Thank you for reading my blog! Please leave a comment to tell me about your favourite organizational product you use for school.

xxx
Victoria

Comments